The Pros, Cons and Costs of Carpet Cleaning
Research backs up what you may suspect: homeowners don’t use professional carpet cleaning services as much as they should. Carpets need to be properly cleaned once or twice each year. For most people, it just seems like a service they don’t need to really invest in so often. Unfortunately, most people are just wrong about the cost-benefit balance when it comes to carpet maintenance.
Indeed, even when homeowners are diligent about keeping their carpets spick and span, those carpets still accumulate dirt and grime within the carpet fibers themselves. So, here we talk about the pros and cons of professional carpet cleaning. It’s what you need to know to make the best choices about keeping your carpet clean and making it last longer.
The Pros of Professional Carpet Cleaning
There are many solid reasons to invest in an annual or biannual deep carpet clean. Yep, moving all that furniture into the kitchen and letting the pros go to work has many benefits! The following are the primary reasons you should get a pro cleaning for that lovely house fluff:
- Aesthetic Value—Cleaning your carpet every 6 to 12 months before you start to notice the spots and traffic lanes keeps it looking like new. Plus, this will make it last for a long time to come without damage or decay. Soil left in the carpet for too long can actually work its way into the fibers, making it almost impossible to remove.
- Improve Physical Health—Your carpet works very much like the filter in your heating/AC system. It traps all kinds of bacteria, allergens, dust, pollens and other nasty things that are in the air. It gets filled up over time. The best way to keep the air you and your family breathe clean and safe is to clean your carpet regularly.
- Make your Carpet Last—Lastly, cleaning your carpets regularly is the best way to ensure you’ll face a new carpet installation later rather than sooner. Functionally, your carpet will last 10 to 15 years, whether you clean it or not. Put off cleaning your carpet for 5 years, and the traffic lanes, stains and signs of general wear and tear will have you calling a carpet company for a new rug long before the warranty on your current carpet expires.
Carpet Cleaning: The Cons
Truly, there aren’t a whole lot of reasons to avoid cleaning your carpet. That being said, there are some approaches that can actually damage your carpet and cost you money to boot. Therefore, we include here some of the ways homeowners unknowingly make poor carpet cleaning choices. So avoid the cons by reading our tips!
- Be Wary of Shady Companies—A reputable carpet cleaning company will be a well-established business with the proper credentials and high rating on review platforms. Unless you have a compelling reason to trust a company without a reputation you can verify, don’t rick it! It’s easy these days to screen companies online by checking reviews, the company website, and contacting for a free estimate BEFORE you commit to anything.
- Carpet Repair is Fist Priority—If you have older carpets that are showing signs of buckling, looseness, or wrinkling, repair your carpet first, then call in the pros for a cleaning. All of these common carpet problems are signs that your carpet needs to be restretched, and having your carpets cleaned before you take care of the issue is only going to make matters worse.
- DIY Obstacles—Perhaps the biggest danger in getting carpets cleaned is the notion you can do it yourself. You can, just not nearly as well as the professionals can deliver. Many home improvement stores offer carpet cleaning rental units, but this piece of equipment is substantially inferior to commercial-grade portable steam cleaners and truck-mounted units. All too often, insufficient suction power and poor application will leave carpets damp and, ultimately, do more harm than good.
Cost of Professional Carpet Cleaning
The cost of carpet cleaning varies depending basically on how much carpet you have. Still, the average cost for carpet cleaning professionally ranges between $200 and $260 nationally. Again, it will vary on a local level and by how many rooms you need cleaned. With locations in Washington and Idaho, Allklean Carpet Cleaning is a highly-rated, dependable option for excellent carpet cleaning and repair service. Check out their pricing guide here.
The Bottom Line
There’s no doubt that regular carpet cleaning is a good idea. It’s the best way to maintain better looking, healthier, and longer-lasting carpets. However, it’s also important that you’re clear with your contractor about what exactly you want done, how much it’s going to cost, and what any additional charges might be so that you can get the service you deserve without any undue surprises when it’s time to write the check.